Monday, June 12, 2006

Credit where credits are due.

(Here be Six Feet Under spoilers.)

I cannot count the times I sat exhausted, reeling in response to another high-intensity episode of the brilliant Six Feet Under, when Pete "Copperart" Smith (Network 9’s ubiquitous voiceover man), would bust in, trample the closing theme and vomit all over me with his pointless promo for some upcoming piece of nothing.

I know they need to advertise, but it always seemed so inappropriate, especially with a show like SFU. Instead of being a quiet moment of music and introspection that allowed you to disengage and start to process, it became a desperate scramble for the remote so you could hit Mute before Pete would hove into view and kill the moment.

One of the best things about watching SFU via… other means than network TV, besides being able to set your own agenda, was the freedom from Pete and his inane blather. So it was with great pleasure (although great sympathy as well) that I read the following letter in this week’s Green Guide.
If I hadn’t heard it I wouldn’t have believed it. Seven seconds into the closing credits of Monday night’s Six Feet Under, just after Nate had died, a Channel Nine voice-over said “We hope you enjoyed Six Feet Under. Tonight 10:30, we’ll have you laughing with brand new Comedy Inc, the series where no-one is safe and nothing is sacred, taking aim at the living and the dead.” Unbelievable.
Chris Page, East Malvern.
Sadly, Chris; it’s not unbelievable at all. Seems like a fitting epitaph for Six Feet’s run on network TV.

7 comments:

  1. Nate dies?! Gee whiz. That's very sad :(

    I love SFU, but for the last 2 years have lived in a house with no TV connection and I have no, er, 'alternate opportunities' for watching it.

    What happened? How did he die? I might see it one day, but now that I know his bucket has been kicked I would rather know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY wish I took note of that spoiler warning.

    DAAAAMN.


    So, how did ol' Nate bite the dust?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I feel terrible. This post has now gunned down three SFU fans who for whatever reason haven't kept up with the latest eps.

    I won't tell you how; keep that bit for a surprise, at least. And you know, looking back, I wouldn't have minded knowing Nate would shuffle off sooner rather than later... :-)

    Jess: you need to move house. Dag: you need to exploit your unlimited British broadband! Now get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never watched it... Spoil away... Never got myself into a program which I watch every episode of... only the X files back in the day... Now I am far too critical of everything to make the effort to watch it... and no video or writable DVD or any other technology which will do the job at my disposal means... well it means I never watch two episodes of anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I do hate it when Pete pipes up with his words of wisdom... especially when they are doing the montage at the end of the footy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it makes you feel any better, I'm hardly a fan; and the actual fan in the household has been served well by my falling on this grenade.

    Yes, Nate dying is something to look forward to. Hopefully it happens suddenly so that he doesn't get the chance to agonise and whine yet again about how unfair and terrible his life is.

    (As I said, hardly a fan.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most fans would agree with you. :-)

    And yes, you've made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete