Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Aras End of the World.

(Here be Survivor: Exile Island spoilers.)

Glory be. Some guy called Arse just won the current series of Survivor! Well, it’s spelt ‘Aras’ but everyone was clearly pronouncing it ‘arse’. Or maybe he was just really unpopular and they actually were calling him ‘arse’? I don’t know, I’ve never watched Survivor. Kate happened to have it on and she pointed out his unfortunate name as I was passing by. If I’d known this earlier I would have had money on him to win. Anyone who’s gone through school with a name like ‘Aras’ is clearly a survivor. I guess he’s lucky he’s American where I gather most people would draw a distinction between ‘ass’ and ‘Aras’. Either way, I’m adding his name to my list of names to never call my children. Yes, I have a list. I also have a list of surnames I’d be uncertain of keeping if I happened to be born with one of them.
My Top 5 Surnames You'd Better Have A Good Reason For Keeping (work-in-progress)
5. Tinkler
4. Roughead
3. Hercock
2. Cobbledick
1. Manlove
I just read a book by Colin Manlove. Imagine being Aras Manlove. Hmm, no thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're way off the mark on this one, Apostrop her. As I read it, it sounds in my head as: A'ras, which is nothing like arse in my head, and would be suprised if many others did sound it your way. In fact I would be suprised if you with your attention to grammatical objects sound the name in your mind as arse, and thus must accuse you of over reaching on this idea in the quest for a new blog subject, as it has been a while since your last one.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, unjustly snappy at you there, I am pissed off as I just got in trouble for fixing customer files without permission. And I shouldn't have done that as it would alert the customers that there had been a problem and might piss 'them' off. Better we bury our heads in the sand and let the files sink further and further into trouble untill..? Aparently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask if you'd had a tough day at work. Sorry to hear that you did. And thanks for the backhanded complement, I guess. I didn't realise I'd set myself such a high standard with my pondering over life's weighty issues.

    And you're right; I don't pronounce his name as 'arse', but Survivor's host quite clearly did. Sure, sure, he was saying it, 'ARas' but to my Aussie ears, it's the same thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your list of names to be avoided at all costs made me LAUGH OUT LOUD. i also like ones with 'bottom' in them: bottomley, longbottom etc

    And there is something irresistible about the double-barrelled (how very onomatopoeic :)) surname. Funny double-barrelled names include Penny Husbands-Bosworth, Richard de Porpington-Wilkinson, Portia Bracknell-Spiffington and Arthur McDudley-Northtrot.

    Teehee. Fun for the whole family :)

    ReplyDelete