Friday, May 05, 2006

Whistling in the dark.

Is it wrong to whistle on public transport? Or, more generally, in public? Because there was a man on the tram today who was whistling while reading his paper, and it annoyed me. But I wasn’t sure why; it was just my instinctive response. Maybe there was a bit too much Oliver Twist to it? Like at any second he’d tuck his thumbs into his suit’s lapels and prance down the aisle.

But no, he stayed in his seat, turned the page, and kept on whistling away. I like the idea of whistling; it seems so carefree and cheerful, and this man clearly wasn’t concerned with what anyone around him might have thought of his behavour.

He wasn’t whistling particularly well (and I’ve often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that’s for you, be what you’re like, be like yourself, and so I’m having a wonderful time but I’d rather be whistling in the dark BOOM whistling in the dark BOOM whistli…)

Sorry, where was I?

Yes, he wasn’t whistling particularly well, so he wasn’t trying to impress anyone, he was just enjoying himself on his journey home from the office. I think it’s great when people are so comfortable with themselves that they can do whatever they want without worrying about those around them. I just hoped he understood I was acting in the same spirit when I punched him in the mouth. There are limits, you know?

2 comments:

  1. I don't find anything wrong with people whistling or singing in public, whether to themselves or to someone close by.

    More accurately, I should say that I find it extremely annoying at times, but recognise that that is my problem, not theirs.

    Carrying on loud conversations in public is definitely rude, however. Extra rudeness points for conversations in a language not spoken by most people in the vicinity; and/or for being on a mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided they're just crazy people who can't be held accountable for their actions. There was another whistler on the tram today, and in between bouts of whistling, and while offering his packet of chips around, he tried to engage strangers in a debate regarding the human side of ticket inspectors. A whistler, a proponent of interation on public transport and he thinks inspectors have a human side... clearly he's insane. :-)

    ReplyDelete