Saturday, May 13, 2006

Le Chef Domestic (tm).

Allow me to introduce the ‘Homemaker Professional’ series of knives. Domesticity is dead, and a new standard of cutting-edge excellence awaits the truly discerning homemaker.


I can’t decide if finding this combo incongruous makes me a patriarchal oppressor who's determined to deny the role of ‘homemaker’ the proper respect and recognition it deserves, or whether Homemaker are just tacking on the word ‘Professional’ in a desperate attempt to make their product seem more impressive than it actually is? I just can't decide. It’s not as ridiculous as China claiming to be the home of freedom, but it strikes me as a bit of a toss nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps the clever labelling of this product helps housewives like me with 3 or 4 degrees and numerous years experience in various professional fields feel slightly better about chopping carrots and dicing celery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just too many 80's movies, but my only response to name of the knife is "Professional What?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, I think your little focus-group of one has just struck gold! Homemaker could easily expand their range to include a professional line of pegs, of tea towels, of feather dusters, of shopping list notepads... the potential is enormous!

    ReplyDelete