Friday, October 06, 2006

Krusty Kreme.

Just got swept up in a cultural phenomenon, and dumped on a deserted beach, washed-out and wasted, like some bedraggled shipwreck survivor.

Yep, Krispy Kreme’ll do that to you.

So sweet, light and soft; they melt in your mouth like, well, like a sugar cube does. I wonder if there’s any connection? My mouth feels like some scorched, sugary wasteland; like a dead sea of sugar that’s run dry, leaving nothing behind but the bitter taste of regret. Too much, too much; but one donut is never enough.

For some reason I can’t work out, the first Krispy Kreme store to open in Victoria was way, way out at Fountain Gate. I’m sure the locals are mad for sugar out there, but I would have thought you’d do more business in the city? There must be other factors at work I’m not aware of? Whatever the case, a CBD store was not far behind, opening recently on Collins Street near Southern Cross Station.

This afternoon Nick, my boss, floated the idea of heading over to check things out. A trip out for sweet, sweet donuts during work time, you say? What crazy, upside-down, dream world have I woken up in? Brilliant. So, off we went, and once there, discovered a queue running out the door and down the street! Trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible (not wanting to be sprung queuing for donuts by any clients), we slowly shuffled forward to the counter, where we picked up a Sampler Box and a dozen Original Glazed donuts. Oh, sorry, ‘doughnuts’. (How’d that one sneak through the reforms? Noah Webster must be doing donuts in his grave!)

Once back at the studio, everyone gathered round and dug in, but, as with my first and only other experience of Krispy Kreme in New York in 2004, I was a little disappointed. You won’t believe this, but they were still just donuts! I mean, they were good, but not out-the-door-and-down-the-street-queuing type good; more of a yeah-if-I-was-walking-past type good, I think. Still just a victim of too much hype, I guess; too many years of too many freaks flying back from Sydney with box-loads under their arms, drooling over their precious haul like it was manna from heaven.

Still, this time it was fun snobbing everyone off by declaring that these Krispy Kreme’s were merely satisfactory, and simply nothing like the ones I’d had in America. He, he.

UPDATE: I just checked Krispy Kreme's entry on Wikipedia, where it says since the company went public, many stores have actually had to be closed due to unprofitability. "Though Krispy Kreme has blamed the low-carb diet craze," it says, "others more critical point to their relatively high prices for a product that consists mostly of air." Hilarious. Oh, and also, apparently Australia's the only place to have 24-hour drive-through service; so Americans might have 29 tasty varieties to choose from (in comparison to our paltry 15), but can they get them 24 hours a day? I think not! :-)

10 comments:

  1. I am a doughnut fan... a bit one... but I am over Krispy Creme. They are not that good and I get much more satisfaction from the super jam kinds from the local bakery. Over rated and padded up by too much hype. Unless one lands on my desk... you will not find me lining up. My two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very right, Bomber. I had a Hot Jammer from the Preston Market the other weekend, and it was spot on. Left KK for dead. And they squirt the jam in right there in the little van, so it's warmed by the donut to just the right temperature. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krispy Kreme Original Glazed is a top-notch doughnut that can hold its own with the other classics of the genre, such as the MCG Jam, Donut King Cinnamon and Seven-Eleven Strawberry Iced.

    The rest of their range is variable. Their jam doughnut, in particular, should be singled out for ridicule and scorn.

    Oh, and while the Krispy Kremes that Future Spouse and I enjoyed in New York were much better than those here in the Wide Brown Land, we can assure you that there are even better Krispy Kremes to be had outside Manhattan in Dan Quayle's Real Real America.

    But then, no-one goes to Manhattan to eat fast food (except possibly Morgan Spurlock).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd certainly need to be the King of Donuts to challenge the 7-Eleven Strawberry Iced. A fresh Strawberry Iced, that is, which was often hard to find.

    Was it the atmosphere and surroundings of Real Real America that made their Krispy Kreme's special, or was it something to do with the way they were made?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's mainly the fact that I can snob you off, Apostropher.

    There's also the sheer pleasure of buying Krispy Kremes and petrol at the same retail outlet and continuing the journey with both vehicle and passengers fully loaded with premium fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tasted a better doughnut than KK. But feel free to change my mind Postie by bringing home the best of the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's mainly the fact that I can snob you off, Apostropher.

    Hehe. I should have guessed.

    ...by bringing home the best of the competition.

    'Bringing home the donut' may not have the pleasing alliterative ring of 'Bringing home the bacon', but it sure sounds better to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, all three of you have used 'doughnut' over 'donut'! I thought the US spelling had won its global usage arm-wrestle (Krispy Kreme excepted), and 'doughnut' had been consigned to the history books, but I see that a little pocket of resistance is still holding the line! 'Ugh' isn't archaic yet! I'll come back if you'll have me?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The preferred American spelling was originally, believe it or not, "doughnut", and modern American English uses the two spellings interchangably. (Krispy Kreme, for the record, sell "doughnuts"; whereas "Dunkin' Donuts" sell ... well, you figure it out.)

    The first recorded use of "donut" dates from a article written in the 1920s bemoaning the decline of the ability to spell.

    Then again, this information is from Wikipedia, so it's probably rubbish. All we can say for sure is that Wikipedia, or at least its article namers, is firmly in the "doughnut" camp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm packing down both camps and heading over to the 'Fancy Bagel' one! 'Fancy Bagel'! I love it! "I'll have a strawberry jam fancy bagel, please, sir!"

    I'm not as enthusiastic about 'Krapfen,' but maybe, as I don't live in the south of Germany, it's all ok?

    ReplyDelete