Friday, September 29, 2006

My ways or the Highways.

I’ve long been annoyed by those people who insist on adding an ‘s’ to the ends of Melway, Safeway and Myer. Mostly, I guess, because I just don’t understand why? Myer may have had one way-hey-hey back in the old days, but Safeway and Melway never have. And yet people insist on checking the Melways, buying groceries from Safeways, and getting overcharged at Myers. I guess we often talk about a Melway’s Reference, and so it feels natural to add the ‘s’, but that still doesn’t explain ‘Safeways’. Or why these people don’t also check the UBDs or go shopping at BI-LOs and Harvey Normans?

Well, whatever the case, the other day I tapped myers.com.au into Safari to see what would happen, and I received a pleasant surprise. Unlike with melways.com.au, there was no discreet, auto-forwarding to the correct address here; just a page featuring a large, wonderfully condescending message asking if perhaps you weren’t, “Looking for Myer?”


You can almost see the invisible ‘You dummy’ in parentheses after the question mark, especially for people used to seeing an invisible ‘s’ at the end of Myer. So, no auto-forward here, not even after a slight pause. The page just stares you down, and waits. It’s as though they want you to pause and reflect upon your error, to notice the five separate instances of 'Myer' on the page without an ‘s’, and then, when you’re ready, to move forward by your own action so as to reinforce the lesson you just learned.

It’s good to see the folks at Myer continuing in the spirit of Sidney Myer and trying to make the world a better place.

5 comments:

  1. "Myer" - the store for those who don't mind paying a little^Wlot more for identical goods, as long as they can avoid rubbing shoulders with the sort of people who shop at K-Mart or Target.

    Where the customer is always right - unless they use the dessert fork for salad, in which case feel free to snigger at them behind your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jj - I don't think you've been out to Myer Dandenong...which has the sort of people that the uppety K-Mart and Target shoppers, want to avoid...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commas on the Paths is my favourite blog. Keep up the good work Postie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CK - I actually discussed this with Future Spouse, who worked in various department stores in a previous life, and who clued me in to the following hierarchy:

    Big W sells cheap stuff cheaply, whereas David Jones sells good stuff at a premium.

    In terms of the quality of its goods, K-Mart is a rung or two above Big W and sets its prices accordingly; similarly, Target is a rung or two above K-Mart.

    Myer is a (small) rung above Target, but sets its prices as though it was a (small) rung below David Jones. It is trading on a reputation for quality that is no longer reflected by the goods it actually sells.

    Myer's appeal is thus to those who value appearance above substance. In the inner suburbs this means the Hyacinth Buckets of the world; lacking experience with Dandenong, I don't know exactly what it means out there, although I suspect the word 'bling' might be involved...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, thanks Kate, very kind, but careful with the praise there! I almost took your post for Comment Spam and instinctively went for the delete symbol! It was only the lack of "...and you should totally check my blog out too!" that helped my conscious brain to kick in and stay my hand!

    Also... and this is kind of awkward, not sure if you're aware, but I should point out there's no 's' on the end of commasonthepath! I can't believe you'd make that mistake commenting on this post of all posts!

    CK: thanks for the warning! If I'm ever heading for Dandemyermate, I'll remember to take a couple of Target shoppers along to throw to the wolves when I need to make good my escape.

    But, as someone who ticks all three 's' boxes, I was hoping you could give me some sort of insight into why... Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any unique perspectives?

    ReplyDelete