Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Shoe-horning a metaphor into a bleeding simile, or something.

I’d rather eat the ubiquitous Mx “newspaper” than read it. But sometimes when I’m on the train, I’ll catch a serve in the face from the person opposite, as I glance up while turning the page of whatever foundational work of world literature I happen to be enjoying at the time. I caught the headline of the article below the other day, and had to bring it home to share.


‘Lost Dogs are no Bass and Flinders as they try to find their station in life’? Wow! This sub-editor just couldn’t let it go, could they? They had an overstuffed bale of puns and come hell or high water they were gunna get ‘em all in, no matter what no-one had to say about it, ya hear?! So, take a second and try to guess what the article's about. Go on.

All done? How'd you go? Here for your edification is the text in full.
Lost Dogs are no Bass and Flinders as they try to find their station in life

Bulldog Scott West’s football skills meant nothing today as he took part in a variation of the popular TV show The Amazing Race. West even tried to bribe a club official to help get his team away from Flinders St station and back on to the quickest path around Melbourne. The Bulldogs were split into groups and had to find clues to their next destination.

Great story, and it’s clever you see because the men in the photo play for the Bulldogs and they’re playing a navigation type game so there’s a chance they could be lost and there’s an organization called the Lost Dogs Home so that ties that together and the Lost Dogs (he, he) are at Flinders St station and there’s a famous Australian explorer called Flinders who would have had to navigate so that ties them together and they’re trying to find something so let’s say it’s a station in life, or something although I’m not sure how that applies and Flinders knocked about with Bass which is a fish so let’s get that in there because... well because he and Flinders always went fishing together and the Lost Dogs (he, he) are no Bass and Flinders because they’re trying to bribe som… wait a minute, there’s no bribe pun in the title… um, 'Here Comes the Bribe'? Yes! Because he’s moving forwards! So, revise; let’s bring it all together: “Here Comes the Bribe as Lost Dogs show they’re no Bass and Flinders as they try to find their station in life and stuff.” Gold! And I get paid by the word! High Five!

My irritation with the article was all the more as it reminded me how bad Season 8 of The Amazing Race has been, and not just because they continue to call ‘clues’, what should clearly be called ‘instructions’. Those boring old sods at Oxford call a ‘clue’: a fact or piece of evidence that helps to clarify a mystery or solve a problem. If there’s no mystery or problem to solve, it’s not a ‘clue’, it’s an ‘instruction’, which is: a direction or order. I’ve only watched the last few seasons, so maybe there was a time when they had to use clues to solve puzzles, but not anymore. Now it’s just “Go to Point A and get directions to Point B”. Boring. Kate called this season “The Amazing Disgrace” and she’s got it right. Hopefully next season’ll improve.

Well I wandered off-topic, but that’s ok. If you hadn’t already read it on the train yourself, I hope you enjoyed catching up on some riveting Doggie news. Woof, woof.

8 comments:

  1. It will not improve... programs do not improve when they start well and go down hill. They only improve if they startbad and get better... My two cents... Woof Woof Woof

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly I'd agree with you, but Red Dwarf Season 7 was woeful, and then Season 8 improved... although only just. The West Wing too got a bit flabby in the middle, only to return to form by the end.

    (You got the Woof Woof! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While The Amazing Race Season 7 was hardly the high-watermark for televisual excellence, I think you may have it confused with Season 8 aka "The Family Edition".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Dwarf season 8? The one where Lister isn't the last human alive, Rimmer isn't a hologram, and Kochanski isn't CP Grogan?

    Oh look, they're in prison now. How original. Never seen that before. Don't bend over for the soap boys, yuk yuk.

    I don't think either Season 7 or 8 are particularly good, (or memorable) but I can't remember anything from Season 8 as good as the opening sequence of Stoke Me A Clipper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bulldog Scott West’s football skills meant nothing today as he took part in a variation of the popular TV show The Amazing Race.

    All those times in the past I thought that I was involved in scavenger hunts and car rallies, I was really taking part in a variation of a TV show that would one day be invented.

    By the way, don't waste your time seeing Hamlet. It's full of cliches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...can't you see I got no clothes on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you may have it confused with Season 8 aka "The Family Edition".

    Indeed I did get my season numbers muddled. Is it against blogging etiquette to go back and change my post now? Just I don’t want every man and his cat filling this comments section with red flags? To answer my question, I think it’s ok. Even though JJ’s comment will no longer make sense, this section can act like an entry’s edit history on Wikipedia. Cheers.

    I don't think either Season 7 or 8 are particularly good

    No, I don’t either. I only said that 8 was marginally better than 7, which still isn’t very good. Although you’re right, I can’t actually recall a single joke from 8, and in addition to the Ace Rimmer opening from 7, there was also the (imho) hilarious sequence of Kryten wreaking havoc in ‘Jane Austen World’.

    ReplyDelete