Saturday, October 17, 2009

They Are Risen, Indeed.

So, I was buying some bread from Brumby’s today, and guess what I saw on-shelf?


Stopping the clock a full 167 days out from Good Friday, without doubt the earliest Hot Cross Bun sighting of all time! At the very least, it kicks the buns out of my previous best, which by comparison was a mere 97 days.

I mean, unless there’s been a change in standard store procedure and Hot Cross Buns are now a year-round product? Well, would make sense, wouldn’t it? Who doesn't want tasty spiced fruit bun with a hard bit on top goodness 24/7/365? We can get choccy eggs whenever we want 'em, so why not HCBs? And we can repackage them as Easter Buns at Easter time so they'll still have special seasonal significance, and everyone's happy! Win/win.

Happy Easter.

4 comments:

  1. There's a writer for espn.com called Tuesday Morning Quarterback who runs a feature in his column about early Xmas promos and Easter, etc (Christmas creep in the column). You should send this in - it could be the most extreme case of this EVER. Take a look at his weekly football column and see if you like his style:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091020&sportCat=nfl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us be thankful that Brumby's have maintained the "hot" and the "cross" as opposed to the diluted and increasingly prevalent "Easter buns". I wonder what they call them in the P.C. US - "holiday buns"? "4-day break buns"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Andrew. How much stuff does that guy write? I scrolled the length of a field to get down to the Christmas Creep end zone. I like his style, but I reckon I'd be diggin' him more if I still followed American Football. I don't know half the teams he's talking about. How's Atlanta doing these days, anyway? Are the Raiders still in Oakland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Murt, holiday buns! Festive and inclusive. Great idea. When can we get them?

    ReplyDelete