Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mind the Gap.

Never let it be said I don't give praise when praise is due. I have, from time to time, been known to bring the gavel of condemnation down on Connex, but if there's ever good behaviour on display, I'll txt the jury straight away.

Good behaviour such as that which occurred this morning at the station formerly known (but still known to JJ) as Spencer Street.

As I went to insert my Metcard into the exit barrier's validator slot, I somehow managed to get the angle wrong and my ticket hit the angled lip beneath the slot. In the blink of an eye and in one swift motion as I continued to push, it slid down and into an open hairline seam at the base of the plastic bracket, disappearing into the metal barrier's guts.


It happened so quickly that I was left there standing with no ticket in my hand and a stunned expression on my face. An expression that turned to dread as I looked up to see a gang of Authorised Customer Service Enforcers standing there with arms folded across their chests and surly expressions fixed to their faces.

As if they were going to believe this.

Fortunately, they didn't have to. I walked over to one of the regular staff and explained that my ticket had just slipped into the barrier. He nodded and waved over a superior. I explained myself again and, instead of being thrown to the dogs, he also nodded and told me to go over to the ticket window where the attendant would assist me. The friendly woman took down my contact number and said she'd call me as soon as a technician had come by to open the barrier. And that was it. No doubt, no accusations, no demands for justification; just pure customer service, and with a smile.

A few hours later I got the call, and over I went to collect my ticket. Thanks Connex.

7 comments:

  1. Did they give you an interim ticket in the 'mean' time..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have been fined for you inability to put a ticket in the slot which is a. large and b. light up with fluro lights...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, CK, they didn't, as I was off to work and wouldn't need a ticket until my journey home that night. I'm sure they would have though, had I needed one.

    Bomber, research has shown that being tired affects you in a similar way to being drunk. I'm not at my most coordinated first thing in the morning. And remember Mr Moloney the PE teacher? He told me in his most encouraging way that I have poor hand-eye coordination, so it's a miracle I can get my ticket in the damn thing at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No excuses Steve, I'm with Bomber. Fining you is the only appropriate way to deal with the situation. Connex are a disgrace. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a while now I've been wondering what it is that your profile picture reminds me of. I've finally remembered, you look a bit like won of the guys from Bros ... that's a compliment by the way, I think. Or at least it was in 80s and they're cool now, so it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Bros were able to do something special for all the ladies in the world, so that's an admirable thing, but if it's only my look that reminds you of them, well, then I'm not so sure. I guess they were clean and well-groomed, at least; so that's something. Thanks, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and poor Connex. You try and do something nice and it blows up in your face. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete