Friday, July 18, 2008

iPhone, Therefore I Am.

Alright, so maybe that's taking it a little too far, but when it comes to iPhone, hyperbole is the order of the day. And my day is today. Which, given that I was quoted three to four weeks for iPhone Round 2, came as quite the pleasant surprise. My, you'd be hard pressed to top my last 24 hours: The Dark Knight last night, iPhone this afternoon, and then I get home to discover a book that I'd ordered had just arrived from Amazon. Icing.

Imagine my disappointment then when I plugged the damn iPhone into my iMac and got the message: "No SIM card installed. Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate iPhone." Padme, nooooo!! The Optus guy hadn't been able to activate it in store, but assured me it'd be activated when I plugged it in at home. Well, apparently not. Straight onto the old-style, last century, landline-type phone (at least it worked, I guess), and the best he could suggest was that I bring the iPhone and SIM back into the store tomorrow so he can test it out there. No other option really.

So, bring on tomorrow, and in the meantime I'll just enjoy this sublime packaging in which the iPhone image on the top is embossed, except for the area under the Home button which sits recessed, as it does on the iPhone itself. It's not something you notice until you run your fingers across the box's surface. Just magnificent attention to detail.


UPDATE
Gutted. Took the iPhone back into the Optus store in the city this morning, to be told I got the rotten Apple in the barrel! The guy put my SIM into his phone, and it worked, then he put his SIM into the iPhone, and it didn't. Defective handset. What are the chances? They couldn't just swap it over for me, even if they'd had the stock (see hilarious official sign below) as defective units need to go back to Apple to be replaced by them. Or something. Anyway, he estimated a turnaround of one week which, given the actual over the estimate last time, I'm hoping means two days. I guess we'll see.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy watching this video of the upcoming game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed running on an iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment