Thursday, August 24, 2006

Island in the Sun.

Well, I’m back. And it wasn’t quite the experiment in deprivation I expected. Not only did this island in the sun have internet access (albeit charged at $8.50 per 15 minutes, but access nonetheless), it also had mobile reception (although my phone only seemed to work when hovering over my bedside table). The only thing it lacked was my fam and, let’s be honest, that was always the real challenge anyway. :-)

So while I never touched the internet, nor really used my phone, it wasn’t much of an experiment because I could have if I’d really wanted to. Although not with my mobile because as I didn’t expect to have the phone on I didn’t take my charger (it’s just one more thing to lose) and my battery went flat two days in.

So, no new insights into the human condition then… how was the weather? Aah, Fiji. Beautiful showers one day…


…perfect tropical storm the next.


Despite my concerns, the weather was wonderful, with two bonus days of continuous rain and a temperature that hovered around that pleasant point where either shorts or trousers will do. Paradise. For me, at least. Listening to my fellow islanders, you’d think each drop of rain was a sliver of bamboo pushed up under a fingernail. No appreciation for the beauty and pleasure of rain. Which is a shame; it’s so limiting to tie your capacity for enjoyment solely to the sun. It’s not like there wasn’t anything else to do. But no, people just sat around with their fingers crossed, hoping for the best, and assuming I was being sarcastic when I’d reply that I was quite enjoying the weather. Strange man. I don’t understand what’s so strange about liking rain?

And speaking of strange: at dinner on the final night a group of five seated to my left were having a none too discreet conversation concerning me that I couldn’t help but overhear, even over the sound of the performing band. There’s nothing like being seated next to a group of people for an entire meal to help you fade into the wallpaper, I guess? My mealtime banter must have been scintillating! A middle-aged woman from the Gold Coast who was seated between two couples either side was asking if they’d heard the name of my daughter? “It’s Winter,” she told them. “It’s not that I don’t really not like the name, but it seems sort of negative to me,” she said, employing a triple negative whammy of her own. “I like Summer as a name, but Winter seems strange.”

Sigh. Boring. I think I can safely assume that to her ‘winter’ means grey skies, frigid mornings, cold bones, frozen feet, endless rain and dead trees, whereas to me it means roaring fires, hot mugs of tea, thick woollen socks, walking in warm and heavy coats through the crisp morning air and, best of all, being tucked up in a toasty bed with a good book while steady rain pelts on the window outside. Winter doesn’t mean ‘death’ to me; it’s life lying dormant, ready for renewal, eager to explode. So if you’re looking for something that’s negative, you really need look no further than a mirror.

4 comments:

  1. Apostropher! you are speaking my language!
    I adore the rain time, and i love donning my Rain-Poncho. Probably is best that I live in England.

    As you’ve just demonstrated, rain is criminally under apreciated, and nowhere is this more pronounced then in Merry Old England.
    it seems a wise course to learn to love any weather condition you’ve been born into and live in, but the Brits live as though blazing heat is usual for them, and this overcast grey world is a dull pain.
    just last week we had a heat spell, the ladies pulled out their once-in-a-lifetime summer dresses, but after a day of heat, that miserable frown returned with the onset of this salty liquid that seeps from the skin.

    To be honest, this country looks odd and not-quite-right under a summer sun. But under a shower, with a grey sky, it looks true.

    Im sorry for their foolish words, Winter is a superb name.

    If i missed it, I’m sorry, but why did you go to Fiji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! Pluto is no longer a planet! That just made our 'solar' system just a bit warmer in the overall balance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully put Steve. I think I might have even considered enjoying cold weather for a second then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dagradon - Lovely little reflection. I know what you mean by England looking "true" under a shower and with a grey sky. I was watching one of Ricky Gervais' vodcasts recently and Karl was sitting out in a park in shorts and a t-shirt. Looked very wrong. :-) Oh, and I went to Fiji for my friend Ahab's wedding.

    CK - The vacuum of space will still keep things cold enough for me.

    Tim - I'm pleased. I'll get you there one day, you ginger-haired, pale-skinned, sun-loving freak!

    Max - Fiji is a wonderful place, and Fijians an incredibly warm and welcoming people. Although I wish I could have got out into the 'real' Fiji a bit. There was a trip during the week to a local island village, but I didn't end up going. Wish I had. I would have loved to have got out of the bus on the way to and from the airport to go for a wander and say hello.

    ReplyDelete