Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Lion, etc.

Did you hear me being interviewed on the radio the other week about my thoughts on The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe? Ok sure, I was actually just one of a number of callers to ABC talkback, and yes, it was a discussion with Tracy Bartram, but my voice still travelled out across the length and breadth of this wide, brown land we call home... well, across Victoria anyway.

Tracy didn’t like the film, but that’s ok because I don’t like Tracy. I find her irritating, like lemon juice flicked into your eyes.

Tracy was hosting the 774 Breakfast Program while Red Symons was on holiday, and I’ll tell you, there are few things that can snap you into consciousness faster than the coarse sound of Tracy’s voice in the morning. Like a sharp jab to the larynx, it slices through the fog of slumber and wrenches you awake, triggering an apoplectic fit as you flounder frantically for the Snooze button.

Anyway, just as I was about to hurl the alarm clock at the wall, Tracy asked for listeners to phone in with their opinions of the Narnia movie, and started to give her own. My curiosity was captured, and my hand was stayed. For the moment at least. As I said before, she didn’t like it, which put her at odd with her callers, who all did. I wasn’t going to call in, but then I heard her say that one thing that irritated her was that you’ve got these English children in a very English movie and then they go through the wardrobe and the first creature they meet is an American beaver! To me, the beavers’ British accents placed their origin elsewhere, so I thought I’d call to set her straight.

The show’s producer answered the phone and asked for my name and suburb, which I gave her. “Did you like the film,” she asked? “Yes, I did,” I replied. “Ah, good. So did I. She’s on her own here.” He, he.

When I got through to Tracy I told her I liked the film but that I was calling because she’d said that the beavers were American when they were clearly English. The only American accent came from Morgrim the wolf. “Oh no,” she clarified, “I meant the beaver is an American animal.” One wonders why Tracy was troubled at seeing an American beaver in an English setting, but not an African lion, and a… well, you know, a faun, a unicorn, a centaur, and a minotaur? She asked me what I thought of the evil wolf being given an American accent, and I said I found it quite refreshing. Villains, more often than not, have British accents, while the heroes have American ones, as in Star Wars, for example, so I thought it was nice to see it the other way around. She said she guessed that was what was good about the ABC, that everyone was entitled to express their own opinion. I asked if she was going to read the book, and she said she had no intention of doing so. Which is a shame.

So yes, I was very happy with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Not a perfect film, but a very satisfying adaptation of the book. I thought Lucy and Edmund were brilliant. Great casting. Peter and Susan were mostly irritating, though fortunately not to the extent of Lucy from the 80’s TV series, who made me want to bash her head in with a paving stone. I also liked how the animals were just animals, and didn’t wear clothes like they did in the TV series. Strangely enough, they looked more dignified without pants on!

I thought the character development in the film was a little heavy-handed and awkward at times, particularly when it came to showing how selfish and irresponsible Edmund was. Yes, I get it! Move on! I don’t know if I would have had Liam Neeson’s voice for Aslan. His voice had the warmth and strength I was expecting, but not the majesty. Maybe James Earl Jones would’ve made the whole thing seem like The Lion King 2, but that’s who I’ve long heard as Aslan. He’s just incredible. (Except when he’s Darth Vader screaming “Noooooooo!” like some overacting, B-grade hack. Then he’s just awful; but, to be fair, I don’t think anyone could have made that line work.)

Contrary to some early reports, the film wasn’t cunning Christian proselytising designed to poison children’s minds with Christian values and soften them up like some sort of pre-evangelism. The underlying allegory was there if you wanted to see it, and easy to miss if you didn’t. In fact, if you didn’t know anything about Christianity, the Christian references would go right over your head. I think a lot of people have been getting too worked up over the issue. The story may be influenced by that of Christianity, but, as Age writer Philippa Hawker recently pointed out, it’s also influenced by “E. Nesbit, Enid Blyton, The Wind in the Willows, Greek mythology, Norse tales, Hans Christian Andersen and schoolboy chivalric fantasies”. Whatever its influences are, I think it’s a wonderful story with a positive message that anyone can enjoy and benefit from hearing.

So one down, somewhere between four and six more to go, depending on who you talk to (apparently not all the books would do well as films). I just hope they make The Last Battle (and make it well), which is my favourite of the Narnia books. Actually, I wonder if people will still call this one ‘Narnia’ when the other films are out? I know ‘The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’ is a bit of a mouthful, but that, not ‘Narnia’, is the film’s title. Yes, yes, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is the actual title, but if you have to shorten anything it should be the book title, not the series title. What’s wrong with “The Lion, etc.” for example? I think that’s what I’ll use. Maybe people will call them Narnia 1, Narnia 2, and so on? I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

5 comments:

  1. Lucas, stated that the "Noooooo" is a homage to Frankenstein’s rude awakening, upon realising he’s a hideous Freak, so many it’ll grow on us, or not.

    Things I loved about the great Lion
    -Lucy
    -Mr Tumnus
    -the Narnian lullaby, and that whole tea session
    -The battle (tad too short)
    -Peter and Aslans Time-Freezing conclusion.
    -Professor Kirk (I love the broadbent)
    -The magic in the first hour was palpable
    -Captain Oreios, centaur leader of Aslans army
    -The Phoenix igniting
    -Edmunds traitorous character fleshed out
    -Jades’ stoning style (with the spear)
    -The opening nazi raid
    -“Where from Finchly”
    -This Susan was much peatier than the BBC one
    -Superb CGI
    - CGIAnimal acting so well done that they where characters in their own right

    Things I didn’t so much love about the great Lion
    -Jades’ big dress
    -Liam Neeson playing Liam Neeson in a lion suit
    -Peters inner turmoil
    -Aslan died and I felt NOTHING for him

    that about sums up my thoughts on the film.
    I loved it very much

    Bring on Caspian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Bombalomba! Don't get me started on that "Nooo..." oh wait, I started myself.

    Maybe it was an, 'ow you say, 'omage, but I don't know if it was the right place for one. Or the right execution of one. But what would I know, I've never actually seen a Frankenstein film. Or read the book. But who reads books these days?

    I seem to recall tearing up a bit when Aslan died*, but I think it was more because I was reflecting on the allegory than responding to what was on-screen.

    * It was of course just the right amount of blokey feelins and stuff, nuthin' wussy or nuthin', course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, as much as George Lucas has disappointed me these past 6 years, I have a newfound respect for The Flannelled One after watching Empire of Dreams on the Star Wars DVD bonus disc. There wasn't too much new information in it, but it served to remind me what an achievement he pulled off and against what odds. That the classic trilogy got made, and made so well, is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weak as Pi$$ I am.

    Maybe so, but is there anything wrong with that?! I just don't get why some people like being freakin' terrified. You don't usually in real life, so why so in movies? What's so satisfying about being scared half to death for fun?

    I watched the preview for Wolf Creek and it did suck me in. I wanted to know more, I wanted to know how things turned out, and I wanted to see a former host of Better Homes & Gardens murder people... but not enough to overcome the knowledge that I'd be spending an hour and half frozen with terror.

    Maybe I'm just weak as piss too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Oh no,” she clarified, “I meant the beaver is an American animal.”

    Beavers became extinct in Great Britain only in historical times, and never in Europe. (although it was a close-run thing) They are now being reintroduced to areas where they historically lived before dying out, including parts of Britain.

    Oh, and they're more closely linked with Canada than with the USA.

    One wonders why Tracy was troubled at seeing an American beaver in an English setting, but not an African lion, and a… well, you know, a faun, a unicorn, a centaur, and a minotaur?

    She's probably a Gary Larson fan...

    Numerous readers wrote to remind me that it's the female that does the biting, not the male. I knew that. (Of course, it's perfectly acceptable that these creatures wear clothes, live in houses, speak English, etc.) --The Prehistory of The Far Side

    She asked me what I thought of the evil wolf being given an American accent, and I said I found it quite refreshing.

    Hmmm. I don't think it was a case of wanting the villain to sound American so much as a case of wanting the villain to sound like he might cut your ear off.

    Villains, more often than not, have British accents, while the heroes have American ones, as in Star Wars, for example, so I thought it was nice to see it the other way around.

    You might be onto something with the bad guys, who do seem to be mostly British, although there are a heck of a lot of single-line American Imperials reporting to Vader...

    "Holding her is dangerous..."

    "...an escape pod was launched during the fighting, but no life forms were aboard."

    "This station is now the ultimate power in the Universe."

    "It must be a decoy sir, several escape pods have also been jettisoned."

    "Ship approaching sir, X-Wing class."

    ...and, a few seen without Vader nearby...

    "Where are you taking this... thing."

    "You rebel scum."

    I do think your theory starts to look a little shaky when we consider good guys like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gonn Jinn.

    And that's without even mentioning the booming deep American accent of James Earl Jones, who I think played a minor uncredited role in at least the first film.

    To be continued...

    ReplyDelete