Friday, October 07, 2005

Damaging the keyboard

I’ve been horrified for some time by the lack of care so many people seem to take when communicating over the internet. From Instant Messages to Message Boards to Blogs, people seem to just clench their fists, bash the keyboard, and hit Send. There’s no editing. It’s all stream of consciousness. Bblluurrgghh. You’ll always get “You know what I mean,” as the explanation, but that’s the problem; often I don’t know what they mean. Or I switch off and turn away before they get to their point. I get bogged down in spelling mistakes, grammatical errors or, worst of all, SMS-speak.

My, I hate SMS spelling. I take great pleasure in keying whole words into a message. Even if I’d grown up with it and it was “my language,” I’d still hate it. Hope I would. It looks so ugly. I love words. I love characters. I love how characters look when arranged together, and SMS just seems wrong. Like a dwarf with a leg missing. I’d rather send two messages than compress what I wanted to say into one by hacking away parts of words.

Anyway, it’d just be nice if people slowed down a little and at the very least re-read what they’d written before they posted it. I guess I can’t expect too much on the spelling front, especially when the Blogger spell checker doesn’t even know the word ‘blog’! What’s all that about? You’d think if there was one word it was going to know for sure, that’d be it. But no. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, comment spam. You've arrived, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering if the good folks at Hormel Foods Corporation (creators of SPAM) would hate Monty Python for starting the chain of events that lead to the naming of internet spam. I was in the supermarket the other day on an errand to pick up some SPAM for Late and I actually found it a hard thing to do because I have such negative associations with the word 'spam'. I stood there for a while with the can in my hand, just looking at it. I got over it and bought the stuff, you'll be pleased to hear, but I thought it must annoy them. Anyway, I wikipediad it, and what do you know:

    "SPAM is not to be confused with spam, the common term for unsolicited bulk electronic messages. Hormel does not object to the term, but insists that it be spelled in lower case so as to distinguish it from the capitalized SPAM™ trademark. Hormel objects to SPAM's product identity (e.g. images of SPAM cans) being used in relation to spamming, and has filed lawsuits against companies which have attempted to trademark words containing "SPAM"."

    ReplyDelete