Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Magic iPod.

I love my iPod. Even if it is merely a third-generation iPod whose small storage capacity and even smaller monochrome screen makes the kids of today wonder how I can even bear to be alive. “How do you handle having to watch movies in black and white? What? You can’t even watch movies on it? Wow; go to bed, old man. How old did you say that thing was?”

But after yesterday I love my iPod even more. For you see I have discovered that my iPod is not just an iPod, it is a Magic iPod!

The day began like any other: at my Mac, strong long black and a quick flick through my RSS Reader for the news of the day. I noticed Apple had just released a new ad for Apple TV, so I went and had a look. It uses a clip from Jack Black’s film, School of Rock, where he’s instructing his students on how to play the rock classic, ‘Smoke on the Water.’ Nice ad. Playtime over, I put on my headphones, set my iPod to shuffle all songs and pressed Play. Of the 4312 tracks it had to choose from, guess what it chose? Yep, Smoke on the Water. What are the odds? Like, seriously? Talk about push advertising. I nearly fell off my chair!

Then! If that wasn't enough, last night I headed to the cinema for an evening drenched in blood, glory and spittle as 300 Spartans shouted themselves hoarse while hacking an endless sea of Persians to pieces. Magnificent. Anyway, I popped into the Men's Room before the session and heard Veruca Salt's 'Volcano Girls' playing over the PA. It was quite a surprise to hear something I actually liked over a PA, something that was very much not the easy-listenin' musak you would normally expect. And they must have given Kylie the night off because then as I walked into the cinema, Radiohead's 'Sit Down, Stand Up' came on. "Wow," I commented, "two good songs in a row. It's like they've got my iPod plugged in." And then next up, also to be found on my iPod, was the stomping 'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes. I couldn't believe it. Three from three! The pre-show "entertainment" then started up, so my run came to an end, but only for two hours because as the movie ended and the lights came on, so too did Lamb's 'Gabriel,' which is not only one of my all-time favourite songs, but also the track Kate sauntered down the aisle to! It was Pirate Radio and my iPod (tucked away in my satchel) was at the board pushing the buttons. (Or whatever it is you do at a Pirate Radio).

I know Bill Gates' smart-house will create a personal playlist based on preferences stored in that chip in your skull and pipe your music after you as you walk from room to room, but Apple have trumped him once again by extending the feature out into public places! With an astounding, apparently unique, magic-feature like this, I think I can mollify the upgrade desire for a few more years at least...

UPDATE: The Magic Lives On, and not just in the hearts of children, but within the electronic heart of my Magical iPod as well, as it continues to broadcast its playlists out through ethereal pipes and into the world around. Huzzah!

I’ve just finished watching the third episode of the last ever absolutely the last final full stop never again nine episodes of The Sopranos. And of these three episodes, two have featured tracks taken directly from my Best. Jazz. Ever. playlist on my iPod. First up was the sublime perfection of Dave Brubeck’s, ‘Take Five,’ which was followed two episodes later by Benny Goodman’s stomping, ‘Sing, Sing, Sing (With A Swing).’ If either of the next two episodes feature Charles Mingus’ pinnacle of jazz expression, ‘II B.S.’ I’m declaring this magic-to-be-or-not-to-be speculation officially settled.

UPDATE 2: I know you’ll think I’m joking, but there’s some freakshow over here who reckons he prefers—get this—his old 2nd-gen iPod to his new 5th-gen video iPod! I know, I know! Crazy fool. Hopefully he’ll let us know when the shuttle lands.

UPDATE 3: SO CLOSE! When laying down a fleece to test the Magicalness of my iPod, I chose to use my all time favourite jazz track, 'II B.S' by Charles Mingus. Well, I didn't manage to land that stomper, but the final Soprano's episode, did feature another of my Top Five favourite jazz tracks, Duke Ellington's standard, Caravan; a track I love so much I've collected 42 different versions of it (and counting). It wasn't my favourite version, but it was still a track on my iPod! So, how amazing is that? Three of my Top Five in the final run of seven episodes. Magic!

10 comments:

  1. The odds are precisely 1/4312 assuming a truly random shuffle??? Can't get over you feeling outdated with your pod - can you imagine going to DSmiths and being told you can't buy a DVD player because there is no connection available for your (admittedly old) TV?! Though it is obviously talented, I'll be truly impressed when your pod can magic into the public soundosphere Rammstein's Links234!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The odds are precisely 1/4312..."

    Yes... I suppose you're right. Makes sense, really. Which makes the odds of that song playing looonger than those of successfully navigating an asteroid field (3720 to 1) so how full on is that?! And as I'm unsure of the odds for surviving a direct assault on an Imperial Star Destroyer, I'll just have to content myself with that. :)

    "...can you imagine going to DSmiths..."

    Actually, no I can't. :)

    "...and being told you can't buy a DVD player because there is no connection available for your (admittedly old) TV?!"

    They did you a favour! Did you know that every time you turn on a Schmiddy's DVD player the screen is filled by a big black and yellow Dick's Head? It's terrifying!

    My first Palm had a dock that used a serial connection and I had similar problems trying to find a serial-USB adapter. The unbiased staff would always advise I just upgrade my Palm and reap the speedy data transfer rewards. :)

    "...I'll be truly impressed when your pod can magic into the public soundosphere Rammstein's Links234!"

    Depeche Mode's original version of 'Stripped' will be the closest my iPod will ever come to playing Rammstein, I'm afraid, Mr Figure. I hope that will be enough of a compromise and I'll let you know if it ever happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re your first paragraph (how can you bear to be alive) allow me to relate the conversation that took place between me and the man in the apple shop the other day while purchasing my first ever (that's right) iPod.
    Him: Have you owned an iPod before?
    Me: No, I've finally succumbed...
    Him: Welcome to the family.
    Me (with note of sarcasm): I feel such a sense of belonging.
    Him (deadpan): You shoul. You're human now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha. You’d like to think there was some degree of irony lurking beneath the surface of his words, but, yep, it wouldn’t be too surprising if there wasn’t. Every religion has its scary zealots. I like to think I haven’t fallen that far...?

    Hello? Anyone? Sigh.

    Now you just have to get yourself a Fly Buys card. :)

    (Oh, and welcome to the family.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me relate the actual conversation with the sales staff at Mr Smith's - Him: "I think they stopped making TV's with that connection in the late 80s" Me: "Oh really, that probably explains the problem - my TV is from the late 70s!". I say a big finger to you Mr Salesman and all your kind! Look at me here though using all this technowizardry to blog with you. Hypocrite that I am...
    And Kate, sorry to hear you've decided to divorce yourself from our branch of the family (the unpodded branch that is) - oh how I'd love to do the same... you hypocrite you shadowy figure...

    Apostropher, was that you I saw in Tandy the other day buying a radio-shack CD tape player for your daughter??? That's almost heresy mate...

    I won't go into the difference between odds and proportions, suffice to say we were actually both wrong - the odds of that occurring is actually 1/4311=0.00023196, rather than the 1/4312=0.00023196 as stated. I agree though that it's still a long shot... but I know you'd like me to be as correct as you like to be yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, the answer to that second equation should have been 0.00023191 - my mistake...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hypocrite that I am..."

    Mr Figure, what is it you don't like about technology? Or is it just the resulting upgrade cycle you dislike?

    "Apostropher, was that you I saw in Tandy the other day buying a radio-shack CD tape player for your daughter???"

    Certainly was not. I hope to never use a tape player again in my life, and I think Winter is fortunate she'll never have to go through that irritating [Fast Forward] Oop, too far. [Rewind] Oop, too far. [Fast Forward] Bugger, too far! Maybe things like that taught us patience and not to expect instant gratification, but maybe it also drove us around the freakin' bend?! :)

    My Dad called me a while back, all excited because he'd just obtained a copy of The Lord of the Rings on audio tape for me. A friend of his had been going to turf it, but Dad gladly took it thinking that I'd be excited about it as well. Unfortunately I had to disappoint him and tell him it was of no use to me as I hadn't owned a tape player in years. (But thanks all the same.)

    "...but I know you'd like me to be as correct as you like to be yourself!"

    Wow, Mr Figure, you know me well, and yet I can't help but say the reverse isn't true! Do you by any chance work for Loyalty Pacific? Or Pacific Loyalty? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Path, you indeed do seem to know me well, but clearly not well enough. While you correctly diagnose my disdain for techno-shopping as a hatred of the upgrade cycle, my moniker should suggest to you a love of technology and visionary design.

    I live in the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. I am a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law. And yes, those criminals are the techno-crats that force me to upgrade from perfectly functioning, lovingly crafted and long-lasting tech from a previous era to the consumer disposable trash they peddle in this so called "enlightened" era. Ba humbug - I'll take my Windows 95 and shove it up their Vista!

    And no, you'll have to take another guess...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah, Mr Figure,

    JJ has just brought a little light to your shadows for me.

    I'm afraid that back in your hey day I was mostly following the exploits of a crack commando unit, sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit, but promptly escaping the maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground where, still wanted by the government, they survived as soldiers of fortune...

    Aah, they really don't write TV intros like they did back in the 80s anymore, do they?

    I'm sure I did watch a bit of Knight Rider, but I don't really remember it. Just one episode when KITT boosted into some 30 storey apartment window, or something? And backing out of a semi-trailer. They're the only visuals I have. Unlike the A-Team, where my subconscious is drenched with visuals.

    I did so love it when a plan came together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and as for the upgrade cycle, I'm somewhat ambivalent about that old beast. On the one hand, I dislike running like a rat on a treadmill with my hard-earned flying about behind me, but on the other hand, as a gadget-freak who's dreamed of the World of Tomorrow since, like, always, I'm happy to see it approach at an increasingly rapid speed. I'm not going to get my personal jetpack if technology only progresses at the rate of a Windows install, am I? :)

    ReplyDelete