Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Kicking and Screaming.

I felt the lil’ tine-eh bear-bee kickin’ for the first time the other day! Profound life moment and all that. Kate’s been feeling the kicks for some time now, but it takes a while before you can feel them on the surface of the skin. I’m sure I’m not the first father to recall the Chest Burster from Alien in response, and I’m sure I won’t be the last. Nice.


I’m pretty sure it’s not a Chest Burster though. It’s not in Kate’s chest for a start. And it was too soft and gentle a push to be coming from some amoral killing machine trying to force its way out. It felt more like a kitten pushing a paw into your palm, and now that’s an image from the other end of the scale. It could be a new sort of Burster, I guess, that’s more like a kitten; a kitten alien! Cool. That’s something I’d like to see. It always disappointed me that the alien in Alien 3 came from a dog. Not that I want to see a cat burst apart, but I would like to see the alien that came from a feline host, it’d be all...

Anyway, I’m not sure how I went from the miracle of life to Alien 3, but there you go. Let’s assume it’s not any sort of Chest Burster, as I’m pretty sure something would have shown up on the ultrasound. It’s not even going to be one like the character in Spaceballs, who’s more concerned with vaudeville song and dance routines than the survival of the species. It’s just going to be a totally normal human child that’s currently doing the totally normal set of womb-bound gymnastics and strenuous karate routines. Now that’s reassuring.

3 comments:

  1. Of course, notwithstanding the name, the "chest-burster" never actually did burst from anyone's chest, rather the abdominal cavity.

    Oh, and the chest-burster also had the property (mentioned in some detail in the novelisation of the first movie) of fogging the ship's medical scanner so that a blurred patch appeared when they tried to scan Kane's abdomen, making them think there was a problem with the lens.

    Then again, in Alien 3 Ripley can quite easily get an image of the Queen chest-burster. ('She was using military, not civilian equipment' seems like a good way to weasel out of that one.)

    Oh, and great news about the kicking baby. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually. I love the plush Alien toys. Nothin' like a cute little plush chest-burtser to liven up a baby's cot. There are other ones I seem to recall seeing, but I can't remember what they are.

    ReplyDelete