Sunday, May 01, 2011

Choc lotto.

Made the mistake of buying a Cadbury Boost bar the other day. Mistake because I enjoyed it so much I bought another one the next day. And a third the day after that. Third time unlucky though, because halfway through the chocolate bar I discovered not so much a Golden Ticket, but more a small flap of blue plastic.


Eurgh. Gave it a tug, but it was stuck fast. First reaction was disappointment I wasn't going to be able to finish my chocolate bar. Called the number on the wrapper and got through to a very friendly woman who took down the details. After confirming the plastic was soft, she expressed relief that no one had been hurt. "It shouldn't have been there at all, of course," she said, "but it's great to hear it's unlikely to have hurt anyone."

A Reply Paid envelope would be dispatched, she said, so I could return the sample, and after a couple more questions she wished me all the best and we were done. I have to say, I was impressed by the exchange. The woman was friendly, helpful and seemed genuinely concerned about getting the issue resolved. I don't know what I was expecting. An automated set of recordings or the bored teenager working through a script that I usually seem to encounter when dealing with corporations over the phone, I guess.

Anyway, mail arrived today.


Not quite the Lifetime Supply of Boost Bars I'd been hoping for, but still, nice. "We appreciate you bringing this incident to our attention," the enclosed letter read, "and trust the complimentary parcel you received helped to restore your faith in our products." Well, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I'll need to verify there are no further contaminants in these products before my faith can be properly restored.

Now, which one to verify first…

2 comments:

  1. I can't help but feel that there is something in my subconscious that wills me to complain when I know there's a chance of some freebies by way of compensation. Many years ago this did the trick at MacDonalds (it's ok, I've long weaned myself off them)when a cursory complaint yielded a veritable bounty of vouchers. Anyway nice to hear of appropriate customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. You reminded me of the 90s when Nike - for some bizarre reason - would replace your basketball shoes for even the most trivial wear and tear that could vaguely possibly be viewed as a manufacturing fault. The chance of scoring free shoes sent us all into a frenzy, and things we would normally have overlooked, if we noticed it at all, like frayed stitching, suddenly became gross violations of our consumer rights. I'm certainly not one to raise a fuss normally, but the chance of getting the latest Jordan's for free does things to you. I'm not sure if Nike still do it, surely they don't, but it does stand out in my mind as one of the finest examples of positive customer service I've experienced.

    ReplyDelete